The Distinguishing Features of the Tián School Philosophy
12 Hour Online Course Beginning May 1, 2023
12 CEUs (pending) NCCAOM Provider # 278
This course has been approved by the California Acupuncture Board, Provider Number 679, for 12 hours of continuing education.
This course is non-refundable.
Yi Jing is the soul of classical formulas. Classical formulas are the essence of Chinese medicine. When theory is combined with practice, there is a twofold increase in value. The Tián School philosopy is of great material and spiritual value to all people of the world:
- The process by which the Eight Trigrams take shape
- How the Eight Trigrams point to classical formulas and the pulse method
- How the Sixty Four Hexagrams take shape
- How the Sixty Four Hexagrams point connect the pulse method to classical formulas
The skill of applying classical formulas must be mastered through practicing and refining the basics of pulse diagnosis. Theory and practice significantly deepen each other. The pulse method is the skill needed to apply classical formulas.
- The Tián School believes that the pulse pattern is identical to the patient’s pathological pattern in body and life. However, the pulse gives the doctor the most intimate insight. The pulse hexagram reveals much more than the pattern.
- The Tián School believes that, if the pulse and pattern do not conform to each other, one should follow the pulse.
- The profound mystery of the pulse lays in study of the foundation of the Yijing. Only through this study can one progress.
There is a skill to integrating the logic within the Shang Han Lun and Jin Gui Yao Lue. The Shang Han Lun formulas are the guardians of the six conformations while the Jin Gui Yao Lue formulas are soldiers who put the Shang Han Lun formulas into action. How are they put into action? This lesson will explain. This is the deep wisdom of the Tián School.
4. Classical Formulas
The skill of grasping the ten systems of classical formulas brings distinct clarity to what may seem like a long list of disordered formulas. From the Tián School point of view, the ten systems are as follows:
- The Gui Zhi Tang system
- The Ling Gui Zhu Gan Tang system
- The Xie Xin Tang system
- The Bai He Tang system
5. Determining Diagnosis
By understanding the mutual interaction of the Yi Jing, classical formulas and pulse methods on the Cun, Guan and Chi, one can determine the best treatment. The clinical process of the Tian School can be summarized as follows; it begins with the practitioner using the pulse method to discover the form of a single hexagram among the sixty four hexagrams. Then one can consult the hexagram explanations in the Yijing text. The wisdom of divination school and the philosophical school are followed to discover the precise herbal formula. This can be confirmed through practice skills and the textual lessons to be introduced.
Dr. Huáng Xuán is pre-recording these fundamental teachings in twelve, one hour videos. Each video is in Chinese with English subtitles created by a team of practitioners of Chinese medicine who bring fluency in both languages. Dr. Huáng hopes to continue to develop these teachings further in future classes and hopes that White Pine Circle will organize a group to come to study directly with him in Tian’s homeland of Cheng Du.